Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Visit the Admissions page to apply to BYU-Hawaii.
  • Visit the Financial Aid website for deadlines regarding financial aid. Visit the Academics website for registration deadlines.
  • Please visit the Academic Dates to Remember page for current information.
  • BYU-Hawaii offers majors in 25 fields. Please visit the Catalog to see a list of all our major fields of study.
  • All application materials must be received by the CES Admissions Office on or before the deadline for the semester or term for which the applicant is seeking admission. Applicants who submit any portion of their application after the deadline for the semester/term for which they are applying may be considered for the next available semester/term. Click here to view the academic dates to remember.
  • All of the following factors are very important to the application process:

    Your church interview with your bishop and stake president (Part 3) - you must be completely active and "endorsed" by your Church leaders Seminary and/or institute attendance (Part 4).

    A "B" average or higher high school grade point average (GPA, U.S. System).

    Your church service - extra consideration given to returned missionaries.

    Your essay (Part 7) - this is not an English test, but rather a chance to share more about yourself and why you want to attend BYU-Hawaii.

    Your financial situation (Part 8) - you need to be able to show that you have enough money to study at BYU-Hawaii or that you are eligible for scholarships.

    ACT score of a 21 minimum and a 25+ to be competitive / SAT score of 1130 or higher. Remember that ALL college and university transcripts need to be official. Faxed copies will not be accepted.
  • 61 on the IBT TOEFL (500 on the paper test)
    5.5 on IELTS
    75+ on the Michigan
  • You should check your status regularly online by going to the status page on Normally, a student should receive a decision 30-60 days after application deadline. IWORK students can expect to wait an additional month or two after sending in all the required documents.
  • Visit the Admissions site for a list of tasks that must be completed before registering.
  • This information can be obtained on the Financial Aid website.
  • Many BYU-Hawaii students go on for higher degrees at prestigious schools such as Columbia, MIT, Harvard, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Oxford University, BYU Provo, and other first-rate universities.

    Career Services currently has several initiatives to connect students with employment in their home country/region and field of study. They are also actively helping students to prepare for, identify, and apply for internship and employment opportunities.

    Many students complete internships where they are able to develop skills, gain experience, and make connections for post-graduate work opportunities. Visit the Career Services website for more information.
  • No. Because the Church heavily subsidizes the university and because we can admit only a small percentage of the students who apply, university and Church policy is that we can admit no student for a second degree.

    We recommend students who desire to further their studies at a Church school to apply to the Graduate programs at BYU in Provo.
  • All students are required to graduate in four years with a minimum of 120 semester hours of credit. Students with transfer credits are expected to graduate within a shorter time period. Taking classes equivalent to a double major or minor can be done if they are completed within your allotment of semesters in residence.
  • BYU–Hawaii is consistently ranked 2nd for Baccalaureate institutions with the most international students in the Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange by the Institute of International Education. Several of our unique majors including Hawaiian Studies, Pacific Island Studies, International Cultural Studies, TESOL, Hospitality and Tourism Management are among the best of their kind in the US. Many of our athletic teams are also consistently nationally ranked.
    • Modern, state-of-the-art library and computer facilities
    • Language labs
    • Full-service snack bar and cafeteria
    • Health Center with full-time doctor and staff
    • 4000 seat sports and activity center
    • Internet Wi-Fi throughout the campus
    • Post office
    • Game Center and bowling alley
    • Sports facilities including:
      • Olympic-size swimming pool
      • Weight training and exercise room
      • Handball and racquetball courts
      • Outdoor tennis and basketball courts
  • BYU–Hawaii students abide by the Honor Code. This code includes:
    Dress and grooming standards (modest clothing and hairstyles).
    No alcohol, drugs, tobacco, coffee or tea.
    No premarital or extra-marital sexual relations.
    No cheating or plagiarizing.
    Students also attend church meetings each Sunday.
    Religion classes are required for graduation.
    Devotional meetings for all students are held weekly. Campus and all campus offices and services are closed during this time.
  • No. However, because members of the Church support the church through their donations, LDS (Mormon) students pay a lower tuition cost than do non-members. Approximately 3% of our total enrollment is made up of non-LDS students. Members will have attended seminary or institute and those who have served as missionaries for the Church will also be given extra consideration for admissions. Although you are not required to be a member, we expect all BYU–Hawaii students to reflect the standards of the Church in their daily lives.

    • After you are admitted to BYU–Hawaii, we will send you either an I-20 (for non-sponsored students) or a DS-2019 (for sponsored students) which you will need to get a Visa from the US Embassy or Consulate. Students should read the back of the DS-2019 carefully for provisions and restrictions that accompany the visa.
    • You will also need to pay a $180-$200 SEVIS fee at least 3 days before your interview at the Embassy. You can pay online and download your receipt to take with you to the Embassy.
    • The Embassy officer will interview you to see if you will receive a visa or not. You must also take your financial documents to show that you have enough money or that you have a scholarship to pay for your schooling.
    • You can arrive in the US up to 30 days before your classes start (if you have a place to live), but you cannot arrive after the date written on the I-20 or DS-2019. Please be careful about these dates.
  • Visit BYU Provo’s site for information regarding CES Net IDs and passwords. Once you have your CES Net ID it will not be available for use on the BYU–Hawaii computer systems until the next day. After that, if you cannot use your CES Net ID to login to please contact the BYU–Hawaii helpdesk at (808) 675-3211.
  • Visit the online catalog for more information about FERPA guidelines. Visit the online catalog for more information about FERPA guidelines.
  • Go to and sign in with your CES Net ID. Click on the “Student” tab and then on “Student Center.” From here, you can update your name, address, phone number, email address, and emergency contacts.
  • Your BYUH ID is the seven digit number you are assigned when you are accepted as a student and is the number printed on your ID card. This number is also issued to all employees and dependents of employees and students. Your CES Net ID was created when you first applied to the university. It is used to log into, e-mail, mydrive, etc.